Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Amore Dos Mundo

She spoke to me, quite frankly, and I wanted more. I wanted every word to become a part of me, to lay seeds that would spawn

"It's wonderful isn't it? Often times I would grow hostile towards the outside. Everyday I see death and destruction. I see the bodies of nameless soldiers littering fields that once served a purpose other than a makeshift cemetery. Those who still have a name rarely escape unscathed. The wounded arrive back to the City-State to be treated, but some wounds cannot be mended by medicinal means. Patches and slings hardly replace missing limbs, and those that return to the small, outlying village receive even less in the way of benefits. And really, what do you tell a blacksmith who's hands no longer function properly? What pittance can redress a lifetime of uselessness? I see all of this, the widows silently morning their broken bones, the disabled crying out for what had once been, I see all of it. I know you don't think so, I see it in your eyes; you think I'm some ignorant girl, lost in a world that doesn't concern the Insecta, but I assure you, my position as hunter and trader of the villages affords many perspectives of the City-State."

Her words were bitter wounds of reality, carving into my very being. Funny though, the thing I felt more than my own discriminatory thoughts paining me, was the amount of admiration I held for her.

"You would think that I would be bitter as a result of these sights, but all it takes is one; one little girl to smile at you, to give you thanks for a trinket I made to pass the time, a flower and a smile, a smile filled with youth and absent teeth, the kind of smile that is so genuine that you cannot help but believe hope exists, that not everything is wrong or destroyed, that real faith exists and the world can be better. Wonderful isn't it?"

2 comments:

Eric Spatt said...

this is by far my favorite post so far brother.

Aaron McClaskey said...

i'm inclined to agree with lotusian sentiments.

also, i think we need to give glitch night another go.