Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Precipitation

The rain came in, as expected. Housing ourselves in state supplied tents, essentially a composite of Cervidae parts. The skin, sun stained and smooth, canvased the frame. A square structure made of bone, connected by a strong adhesive derived from melting the ligament and fat then mixing it with the inner lining of the Cervidae intestine. The typical Cervidae can create a tent that houses a unit of three. I see your face, curious as to how I know. I told you, I ask alot of questions and Sampson was always more than willing to supply me with an answer.

The war was never far from my thoughts. The battle of Sobral had just ended in State victory, thought casualty count was high for both parties. We lost 10,000 soldiers and Sampson always had a way to put it in perspective; " That's the entire population of the Callin District. Every person living in Kennedy: dead." Scanning the other soldiers present for his words, I noticed a realization in many eyes. For quite a few, this was their first batlle, their first taste of the reality that is war. The thought of everything they knew, their very existence being negated brought every facial gesture to a halt. The abstract gained recognition, personal. They could feel the lives they had taken gaining shape. What was once the enemy suddenly had a face, a family and meaning all their own. Existence brought battle to a personal level, placing fear and doubt into everything they fought for. The thought occurred to me; what was the intent behind Sampson's words?

No comments: